I had been using a short list of social media principles with my clients. When I started writing my book I wanted to codify them. So research was in order. Imagine my surprise when I found page after page after page of social media principles.
The initial research turned up sixty four of the little buggers. I’ll post my own personal list of social media principles that should make all these a little more concise and coherent.
It is interesting that there are lists of social media principles specifically for marketers, public relations, corporations, musicians, and more. Apparently, the framework of social media is so flexible that we can come up with dozens of basic ways to interact with it.
These are presented in no order of importance, they’re just how they rolled out of my research tools.
Social Media principles for a communications consultant - guidelines for behavior to let both clients and the public know the boundaries of how they will use social media
- We will not engage with social or consumer-generated media on behalf of a client without their knowledge, or if it contravenes a client's own policies.
- We will always disclose who we are and who we are working for (both our agency and our client).
- We will never pretend to be someone or something we are not.
- We will take time to understand the rules, beliefs and desires that exist within the online communities we use to communicate.
- We will respect any privacy and contact preferences of each individual.
- We will refuse to undertake work that requires us to compromise these principles.
Principles based on the work of Dr. Robert Cialdini on influence.
These principles look very usurious when first read. I’d suggest interpreting them in a value-neutral way.
Building the love by following simple principles of genuine communication
This is actually only her first of five, she hasn’t gotten around to the rest, but this is a good read – especially the part defining what principles actually are.
The principle she details here is: Go For Insight
Solobasssteve outlines social media principles for musicians.
Social media principles specifically aimed at application in the public sector
Alex de Varvalho’s slide deck on social media principles
Chris Heuer’s slidedeck on social media principles
Bringing the concept of the press release into the 21st century.
Let’s go nation building!
- Frequency of message
How to win Facebook friends and influence Twitter People.
UPDATE: I have written my own 10 Principles of Social Media which I believe boil these 64 into universally applicable guides.